Wednesday, October 13, 2010

No television for you!

Overall I think if we turned all the televisions off it would have a relatively positive impact on our society. I feel the most positive impact would be on adults in our society. With obesity and substance abuse on the rise it would be nice for adults to have to develop some other hobbies rather than sit and eat in front of the television. If anything it would have adults thinking for themselves and not believing what any talking head on television tells them too. As far as kids are concerned I think two of the three areas in the blog assignment. I feel with the unplugging of all televisions kids would be healthier and more independent. However, I feel the education would not increase, but maybe even decrease. The health benefits would be obvious. Kids need to be outside and using their imagination. The independence would flourish, without preconceived notions from television and commercials children would once again have artistic license to use their imaginations again. One thing I have noticed about kids my children play with that are banned from watching television is that they are usually behind my children as far as knowledge of the world and the way things work. My kids have learned the principles of counting and reading from sesame street and other educational shows. It’s like all potentially harmful luxuries in our society; you have to use it in moderation. I think definitely everyone should watch less television, but eliminating it altogether seems drastic. Just because some of our society cannot handle the responsibility of the privilege of watching television does not mean most people do not get social or intellectual benefits from its proper use.
One final note is that one advantage of the no television is that lazy parents would finally get off their asses and raise their kids instead of relying on television to do it for us. So in closing I say the most positively affected would be the lazy. It would give them a new lease on life. For all of us who use television in moderation it would be a dark day.

No comments:

Post a Comment